Wayland Academy has recently subscribed to the Accelerated Reader Programme which has already become a fundamental part of our curriculum for students in Years 7, Years 8 and 9. We believe that reading is one of the most important skills a student can learn; not only will it raise literacy standards amongst all students but will also hopefully promote a lifelong love of reading.
What is Accelerated Reader?
Accelerated Reader is a computerised reading programme that meets the needs of individual students. Students complete an initial reading test and are given their personalised reading level, their Zone of Proximal Development. This enables students to find a book which is appropriate for their reading level.
How it works:
Accelerated Reader works in five easy steps:
- Students select a book from the library within their Zone of Proximal Development (ZPD)
- 30 minutes of reading is completed every day during lesson time on a rolling timetable
- Once students have finished their books, they take a comprehension quiz
- A report is generated after students complete a quiz; this provides teachers and parents with immediate feedback
- Every student will be assessed each half term to monitor their progress
Students who wish to complete quizzes at home can access the Accelerated Reader website here or download the app on the App Store.